January schmanuary. I’m feeling tropical. Won’t you join me underneath this palm tree?
Ahhh. These blonde brownie treats have a luscious key lime kick.
They’re not too sweet, a little gooey, and all impressive when you serve them to your gape-jawed guests.
And you can say, “Oh this? It’s just a little dessert I made in my spare time.”
- 1 box (15-17 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (use only 1/3 cup if using a “Splenda” brand)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese (let soften outside of ‘frig for 5-10 mins)
Key Lime Filling
- 15- to 20-ounce jar of lime curd or key lime pie filling (I used a 23-oz jar and had 1/2 c leftover)
Pre-baking Garnish Options (choose one of these three or make up your own)
- Option 1 – Vanilla sugar (1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla)
- Option 2 - Graham crust (1/4 c crushed graham crackers and 2 T sugar)
- Option 3 – Salt (1/2 tsp flaked margarita salt)
Put the sugar cookie mix into a bowl and stir in the brown sugar.
Melt 1 stick of butter in microwave for about 30 seconds. Add melted butter and 2 eggs to the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
Blend in 1 package of softened cream cheese.
Spread your blonde batter into a greased 9×13 pan. An 8×8 pan is not big enough for this recipe! Now get your lime curd or key lime filling.
Now comes the fun part: Putting the key lime goo into the blonde brownie batter. One spoonful at a time, spoon the key lime filling into the batter, being sure to push the goo below the batter surface. Make sure every brownie will have several bites of lime flavor.
Use a knife to gently swirl together the blonde batter and the key lime goo.
Before baking, garnish with something wonderful of your choosing:
Garnish Option 1 – Vanilla sugar (1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla)
Garnish Option 2 - Graham crust (1/4 c crushed graham crackers, 2 T sugar, 1 tsp vanilla)
Crush graham crackers using a plastic zippy bag and a rolling pin. Add sugar and vanilla. Shake the bag to mix it all together. Sprinkle over your batter.
Garnish Option 3 – Salt (1/2 tsp flaked margarita salt)
Sprinkle your garnish of choice onto the top of the batter. Then bake at 350 F for 35-45 mins (depends on your pan size and depth of batter), until a center-placed toothpick comes out moist but nearly clean.
Let cool for about 30 minutes so they set up before cutting. Now get out your hammock, tie it between two pieces of furniture, and enjoy your tropical treat! Ahhh.